Saturday, October 17, 2009

Yay Daiya cheese, Boo Morningstar Farms.

This blog outlines a happy and a sad.

Happy.

It doesn't take much to make me happy. It's the little things sometimes. Coffee? Happy. Mexican candy? Happy. Yesterday's happy came in the form of a yummy grilled cheese sandwich and a mug of tomato soup. Reason # 358 I love Daiya cheese. It reunites me with the true love of my life, grilled cheese sandwiches. Not to mentions it's gotten very popular in the vegan world, so it is now available at the Mother's Market near my house (walking distance actually) AND it's affordable! YAY! I didn't take pictures, but it was a simple meal. I didn't even make the soup it was a can of Campbells.




Sad.

I recently learned that Morningstar Farms, maker of a wide range of veggie and vegan options, has decided to put egg and milk in many of their formerly vegan products. Not I already preferred the Boca brand for my veggie patties, but where this really affects me is their veggie crumbles aka veggie ground beef. It was good for tacos, sloppy joes, cheeseburger casserole, stuffed peppers, etc. I just bought a bag last week before I heard about the change, so when I was told about this, I checked my bag and yup, milk and eggs. So now I have a $5 bag of unusable veggie beef in my freezer (I didn't keep the receipt). They didn't even put "all new recipe!" on their ingredients or anything like that. The rats. Luckily there's other brand I can buy, but I preferred this brand.

So I guess it's a trade off. Hello grilled cheese. Goodbye Morningstar Farms.

3 comments:

Jess said...

What meanies.

And what is mexican candy? Have we discussed this before?

ElectricSunflower said...

Yeah, Daiya makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches in the world! It's the b-all and end-all for us vegans! That's really crappy about Morningstar - all their doing is cutting into their own market and p****ing off their customers. Not a good, or smart move. I wonder if they were taken over by some other company recently? That's usually when this sort of stuff happens. That's really bad they didn't change the label either, what about people with serious allergies that have gotten used to that brand? Thanks for posting...

mishymishy said...

Electric Sunflower: I believe they were formerly owned by White Wave Foods and are now owned by Kelloggs. I saw somewhere online that they claim the new ingredients make it taste better, but I guess I will never know. But yes, it is crappy. Thanks for reading my blog though :)

Jess: Mexican candy is candy from Mexico that is usually spicy or salty or weird. Some of it was actually banned because of a high lead content, but who the hell cares, it's yummy. Some of my faves are Limon 7, which is packages of salt that tastes like lime, the chili covered watermelon lollipops, tamarindo, and saladitos which are dried salted prunes. Yum, I know.