Tuesday, September 22, 2009

On the menu tonight: Stuffed Peppers

You know, I don't think I've ever eaten stuffed peppers until tonight. I've had chile relleno, which is similar in regards to being a chili pepper stuffed with something, but I guess that's where the similarity ends. I made them once a long time ago for husbinator, but since I made them with real beef, I did not partake.

Earlier this week, I was looking through my little recipe binder for dinner ideas and came across the printout for the stuffed peppers I had made. Intrigued, I decided to put it on the menu for the week, with veggie beef of course.

I made them tonight, and it wasn't too hard to make. The only annoying part is that they take an hour in the oven, and that doesn't include prep. So while those were roasting away, I thought about a side. We had lettuce that was starting to wilt, so I made a simple salad with red onions, but I wanted more, so I made cheesy (Dayia) garlic bread.

I LOVE garlic bread. Want to know a trashy secret about me? I kind of came up with a shortcut. I am THAT lazy. Get a small glass pyrex bowl or tupperware or whatever. Add a stick of butter or margarine. Microwave on low until softened (I usually do 20 seconds on 30% power for margarine). Add some minced garlic (I usually cop out and buy already chopped or minced garlic from a jar). Mix. Stick it back in the fridge until you want garlic toast. Then the next time you want toast, you just stick some bread in the toaster and spread on your garlicky spread.

ANYWAY. That's basically what I did for cheesy garlic toast. Sandwich bread, garlic spread, and daiya cheese in the oven.

Lo and behold, tonight's dinner:
Stuffed Peppers

Looks kind of plain just sitting there like a lump, until you cut into it.

Stuffed Pepper Stuffing


Yummmmmm.

Recipe changes: I mixed diced red pepper in with the beef instead of onion powder, and I omitted the Worcester.

3 comments:

Neil said...

looks awesome. That's a really good idea for the garlic bread too.

mishymishy said...

Thanks Neil :) If you guys try my lazy garlic bread, let me know what you think.

Vicki said...

Your blog always makes me super hungry. I'm going to make these I've actually been wanting to make stuffed peppers for weeks but I didn't have a recipe and I kept forgetting to look for one, thank you for doing all the hard work for me.