Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I love you, mushrooms. Not the drug kind, the food kind.

Ever get tired of cooking the same thing over and over? I do. I'm not an expert chef by any means, so I lack creativity in my weekly menus. And by weekly, I do mean weekly. I usually plan my meals for the week, and buy the ingredients to make them on Saturday or Sunday. It helps us save money grocery shopping. I make the list and I stick to it, that way I'm not grabbing as many impulse "maybe I can make this" types of purchases.

Last week was a big week for me, cooking wise. I wanted to branch out and try to cook new things, add more to the rotation. After looking at a few sites, I decided my new dish attempt would be mushrooms. I usually don't cook with mushrooms, and when I do, it's the plain white button kind. Anyway, I know there's a million ways to make portabella mushrooms, but I wanted something foolproof. Enter my vegan cookbook and their roasted potatoes & carrots with mushrooms. Seemed easy enough.Well at my weekly grocery shopping trip, I picked up some lovely looking portabella mushrooms. Huge suckers. I also picked up an eggplant for the first time ever, but that's a different post. I also grabbed a marinated tri tip for my husband. What a lucky guy. :p I had leftover potatoes anyway, I picked up some carrots and I was good to go.

It went pretty well. I didn't have little red potatoes, so I used regular peeled russet potatoes. I made it earlier this week with little dutch potatoes and it was equally good both ways I think. I also didn't have rosemary (rosemary is a "fancy spice" so I don't own it yet) but all in all, it was easy and yummy. Wanna see?

With tri tip:


Vegan style:


For dessert, we had some yummy macadamia nut kahlua coconut drinks. I know I mentioned them multiple times on facebook, but I thought you might wanna see how yummy they look.

Blended:
Photobucket

After settling. Pretty :)


Hope I made you hungry!

1 comment:

Jess said...

I hate mushrooms, so I'm not hungry...

but I am thirsty now!

The potatoes & carrots look yummy though. Do you cook Prestons, or does he have to do that dirty work?

BTW, even I have rosemary. That alone makes it a not that fancy spice. :b