Saturday, July 11, 2009

Slightly Less Lazy Penne Pasta

I'm a lazy person. As a lazy person, I usually make pasta once a week. Not Chicken Fettucine Alfredo. Not Spaghetti with homemade meat sauce. I mean penne pasta or spaghetti with sauce from a jar. It's easy, and I can take leftovers to work, so there you go. Oh, and if I only use half the jar, I freeze the rest until next time.

Well, this week I had a tomato, parsley, and an onion in the fridge. Because of my aforementioned laziness, it is rare that I have fresh vegetables in my fridge. They're usually bagged in my freezer. When I have kids that will probably change but with just me and husbinator, stuff goes bad before we get around to using it. So I started boiling up the penne and heated up a pan with olive oil. Onions in the pan. Garlic in the pan. Tomato chopped up and in the pan. Frozen bell pepper strips (trader Joes ftw) in the pan. Parsley in the pan. I poured it over the drained penne and got this.


It looks good, but unfortunately I underseasoned the pasta so the penne itself was bland. A lesson for next time. On the bright side , I'm eating it now cold and it makes a pretty good pasta salad. I can see this being delicious with some forbidden soft cheese on top.




This picture doesn't show the side order of shoestring fries with garlic salt I made in the deep fryer. I'm on my way to that third chin already.



1 comment:

Neil said...

You're making me hungry.