Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lemon Bars

I should preface this blog post with a disclaimer of sorts: I in no way condone the use of citrus in desserts. Key lime pie sounds gross. Lemon meringue? Yucky. Don't get me started on the crazies that mix orange and chocolate. Citrus is citrus. Healthy, light, tangy. Tangy has no place in dessert. Dessert should be warm, rich, savory, comfortable. Not tangy. Not citrus based.

Now that I got that out of the way, a coworker brought in some lemons from their tree to share. As I've mentioned before, I don't buy produce, so I was like, hey, free lemons, score. I took 2 home. I cut one in half and made a lemon Italian marinade for a chicken breast that I made for husbinator on the stove Sounds fancy right? In reality, I squirted lemon juice on a chicken breast that was sitting in Italian dressing and added pepper. He claimed to like it.

Anyway, I have 1.5 lemons left. Not enough for lemonade. Lemon cake doesn't appeal to me. No idea what to do. so, being the nice person I am, I decide I'm going to make lemon bars for husbinator. I don't like them, but he always drools over them at bakeries and stuff, so I figure he'll like the surprise.

Not being picky, I decide to use this recipe because it had good reviews. Looked easy and I had all the ingredients down to the last 3 eggs in my fridge. I have about an hour between the time I get home and he does so I figure if I work fast, I can pull it off. I am throwing all the ingredients for the crust into the mixer, and then it happens. I throw in the 3 eggs. Then I look at the recipe. The eggs were for the lemon mixture, not the crust.

Damn.

So what do I do? Improvise. I toss out the last mix and start over. Luckily, I had enough of the other ingredients so that I could start again, except for those stupid eggs. While the crust baked, I mixed the up lemon mixture (with fresh squeezed and strained lemon juice) and replaced the missing eggs with Ener-G egg replacer. In hindsight, I probably should've doubled the lemon mix, they came out super thin, but all in all, husbinator was very pleased with them.

So, after all that, I present to you my first attempt at lemon bars.

I tasted them. Not bad, but still. Citrus has no place in dessert.

Oh yeah, I got a new camera, so hopefully better photos in the future :)

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Lemon squares are the best EVER! I love citrus in desserts, it's the best! The best chocolate truffle I ever had was one with grapefruit in it yum yum yum. I'm jealous of your husband.

Neil said...

You're crazy lady, lemon bars are like little slices of heaven and Key Lime pie is beyond heavenly.