Sunday, June 28, 2009

Balls.

You probably figured this out from my last post but my diet leans towards the vegan side. I still indulge in eggs now and then (how sad, who indulges in eggs?) but because of a supposed egg white allergy, I am not really supposed to. Six years of being a vegetarian, was easy, but a new old lady lactose intolerance shot me towards the vegan side. Anyway, I'm not posting about this for pity. I'm posting about this to make a point, and that point is, if I make some yummy treat that I can't eat myself, I must really like you or I am bored and I need a creative outlet.

Case in point:

Cake balls.

What are cake balls you ask? Well, a mixture of cake and frosting rolled into a ball and dipped in chocolate. The ones shown above are chocolate frosting, chocolate cake, and chocolate coating. I've also done red velvet balls with cream cheese frosting dipped in white chocolate. You can buy virtually any mix, any frosting and any kind of candy coating for these babies. I've also done them on sticks in mini cupcake wrappers. Now, they are not my idea. The credit for this genius invention is Bakerella. She's like my blog idol. Seriously, browse her site and you will need a towel to mop up the drool on your keyboard.

But anyway, ignoring the glare (I REALLY need to work on my food photography skills, like, hey maybe removing the plastic wrap from the photo subject maybe?) they look cute right? So simple. Make a box cake, mix in frosting, make the balls, dip and you are done. Well, kind of but no. These suckers take at least 4 hours each time. Very sore legs. Baking? Easy. Mixing? Easy. Melting? Easy. Dipping? Tricky. And time consuming. The results are worth it though, and I am almost always happy with the results.

So after 4 hours of standing over a double boiler in a hot sweaty kitchen, I can relax and sample my fruits of my labor, right?

Wrong.

Chocolate coating? Milk.
Cake mix? Milk and Eggs.

Oh well. One day I will make a vegan chocolate cake, vegan frosting, and coat it with dark chocolate and just indulge. Oh, and if you were wondering why I made them, it was a boss' birthday at work and I had nothing else to do the day before. It was a fun day to spend the afternoon.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I like your balls they look tasty :)

Vicki said...

Haley and Ava made these for their pool party and they were a huge hit.