Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tofu lettuce wraps a la me

I know, I know, not a whole lot of updates. I need to step up my blogging game. Luckily, I have moved and have a beautiful new kitchen, so I'm hoping that will inspire me.

So, as usual, I've fallen a cooking rut recently, but I did make a recipe recently that turned out pretty well. For those of you who have been to PF Changs, you have probably tried the lettuce wraps, available in tofu or chicken. They are sooooo yummy, I crave the tofu wraps constantly. Well, being as cost conscious as I am (read: stingy and cheap) I wanted to be able to have them in the comfort of my own home. I know that they use oyster sauce in the tofu and a bunch of other stuff I can't put my finger on, so I just kind of put together my own variation. Super easy, super yummy, definitely not the same, but still good.

Of course I didn't measure anything so everything should be added according to taste. Sautee the following items together.

1 block of extra firm tofu, drained and diced
Few splashes of soy sauce. Don't add too much at the beginning.
Olive oil
Pepper
Red Pepper Chili flakes
Powdered ginger (I'm sure fresh ginger would be awesome)
Onion Powder
Shredded carrots, diced into small pieces
1 can of water chestnuts, drained and diced
Minced/chopped garlic

Sautee over a medium heat until the tofu is nice and brown. During this process, your pan may dry up and make the tofu stick to the pan, so you will need to add some splashes of soy sauce and olive oil as you go on (which is why I advise to be conservative with the soy at first, to avoid overly salty tofu). PF Changs serves their wraps with some full leaves of lettuce and wedges of lime. Simply spoon some of the tofu mix into a leaf of lettuce, squeeze some lime juice, and enjoy. We had ours with rice, as you can see in the pictures below.

The mix
the mix

The wrap

omnomnom

No comments: