Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fail

After reading my wife's blog, I decided it was time to share a commiserating story. This is chronicling my disasters in domestication, so get ready for a disaster.

Recently, we were given a bag of peaches. Now I am not a fruit person. I am much more a veggie eater. Asparagus, broccoli, carrots, they are all good. Fruit... eh. I guess. Sure, but not my preference. So what to do with this huge bag of peaches? We were given cobbler as a gift, so I decided to make a peach pie. I've never made a pie, and I was short on time, but my sister REALLY wanted pie that night so, ok, we'll throw one together. I had frozen strawberries, so it was going to be a strawberry peach pie. Sounds great right?

So I hop on to my old standby, allrecipes.com and find tons of recipes for pie crust. The problem? They all need to sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Like I mentioned, I was short on time, it was a work night and I didn't feel like sitting around to wait for flaky crust. So I bypass the flaky crusts and settle on this shortbread pie crust. Actually, the crust was pretty good. I would use it again. For the actual pie, I "use" this recipe for Peach-a-Berry pie. I put "use" in quotations because I just kind of used it as a guideline.

It was going pretty well. Baked the crust, sister peeled and cut up peaches. Here's where it went wrong though. When you see a recipe that says:

Place peaches and berries in a colander for about 15 minutes to drain any excess fluid , then transfer to a large bowl.

DO IT. Do NOT throw them in a colander, wait a minute, then say "oh, nothing is coming out" and throw it in the crust. It needs to drain. Can you guess what the disaster was?

So, I use some remaining pie dough to make a sad looking top crust thing. I was still pretty happy with myself though. First pie. In my neato pyrex pie pan too. I throw it in the oven.

45 minutes later:
Photobucket
I mean, it looks ok. Until you cut into it and realize it is....

Photobucket
Pie soup. Very soggy. There was actually a lot more fruit juice in the pan before I took that pic.

How did it taste? It was pretty good, but I think the sogginess gave us all tummyaches. So this went in the trash.

Fail. Better luck next time I hope.

No comments: